Tees Cottage Pumping Station, 1904 Beam Engine

Geotag Icon Show on map

The spectacular 140 horse power beam engine consists of a Woolf compound engine, by Glenfield and Kennedy built by Teasdale Brothers.
Tees Cottage  Pumping Station, Woolf compound engine,
Tees Cottage  Pumping Station
The beam itself is over 30 feet long and weighs 25 tons.
Tees Cottage  Pumping Station
The engine is within a building erected in 1849 for an earlier beam engine.
Tees Cottage  Pumping Station
Tees Cottage  Pumping Station
The engine operated from 1904 to 1926, although remained on standby until the 1950s
Tees Cottage  Pumping Station
It can still be seen in operation on open days.


Tees Cottage Pumping Station, 1914 Gas Engine

Geotag Icon Show on map

This 1914 two-cylinder gas engine was built by Richard Hornsby & Sons

The pumps which extracted water from the Tees for Darlington were built by Hawthorn Davey & Co. of Leeds.

The building which houses the engine was built in 1853 and housed an earlier steam pumping engine before the current one.
Tees Cottage Gas Engine Building

Gas was originally produced on site, but this part of the plant was damaged in 1955 by an explosion, the results of which can still be seen.
Tees Cottage 1914 Gas Engine

The site in general was operational from 1849 with the final electric pumps still in use until 1980, the site is now run by volunteers who have regular open days.