Thomas Duncombe Boundary Marker, Blakey Howe / Cockpit Hill

Geotag Icon Show on map

This site was originally a Bronze Age burial mound called Blakey Howe.
Thomas Duncombe Boundary Markers, Blakey Ridge
It was reused a cock fighting pit behind the nearby inn during the 18th-19th centuries
Thomas Duncombe Boundary Markers, Blakey Ridge
The marker on top could be a reused bronze age standing stone, it’s inscribed with the initials TD for Thomas Duncombe the landowner in the 18th Century.

Margery Bradley Stone

Geotag Icon Show on map

The Margery Bradley stone marks the meeting point of three parishes. Farndale East, Rosedale West Side and Westerdale.

An ordnance survey mark has been cut into the road side.
Margery Bradley Stone
The other face was inscribed “TD” for Thomas Duncombe in the 18th century.

Margery Bradley Stone

The stone has existed as a waymarker since medieval times, but it could have originally have been from the bronze age and be associated with the nearby Flat Howe burial mound.

Old Ralphs Cross

Geotag Icon Show on map

‘Old Ralph’ stands just a short distance from the very well known ‘Young Ralph’, famous for being on the logo of the national park.
logo-nym
The lesser visited Old Ralph could be as old as the 11th century, the Guisborough Charters of 1200AD mention a Crucem Radulphi, possibly named after Bishop Ralph of Guisborough Priory.
Old Ralph Cross
One face of the cross carries the inscription CD 1708 which was added for landowner Charles Duncombe.
Old Ralph Cross
Most moor crosses are way markers or land boundaries, rather than religious objects.

Frank Elgee Memorial, Blakey Ridge

Geotag Icon Show on map

Frank Elgee was born in North Ormesby on 8th November 1880, when the Dorman Museum opened in 1904 he was made assistant curator and became the curator in 1923.
Frank Elgee Memorial

He authored numerous books on the North Yorkshire Moors such as The Moorlands of North-Eastern Yorkshire (1912), The Romans in Cleveland (1923) and Early Man in North East Yorkshire (1930)
Frank Elgee Memorial
He was instrumental in the excavation of the Iron Age hillfort at Eston Nab
Frank Elgee Memorial
Elgee died in 1944 and this memorial stone was erected in 1953.